Friday, December 23, 2011

I LOVE Christmas!

Its Friday December 23rd and Christmas really feels like it's upon me. I've been skyping with Mum and Dad (Sue and Craig) more frequently recently, trying to organise our impending trip to Japan and also because it's Christmas time and you just want your family at this time of year don't you?

The last time we talked, my parents were at our friend's place, The Michalskis, and I took some screen shots of them with the beautiful tree. The Michalski family are all incredibly talented so their Christmas - including wrapping, cards, food and decorations on the tree/table/around the house - is always stunning. Each year there's a different look and their tree is particularly beautiful, all lit up and hung with their beautiful and familiar decorations. I'm sad I missed the yummy Christmas dinner they had but I'm thankful to skype for allowing me to see the tree and my folks :)

Craig and Sue and the beautiful Christmas tree

Can't wait to see them tomorrow night!

Merry Christmas Craig and Sue

The lead up to Christmas has been odd because some of the things that I have come to associate with Christmas are totally absent in Thailand.
There's no mangoes right now (not in season) and nor are there cherries, nectarines or peaches. It might seem odd to all you non-Australians, but stone fruits are synonymous with Christmas time for me.
It doesn't smell at all Christmasy here either. The air smells as it always does, a humid mix of sewage and spice but in Sydney I'm used to the lovely summery mix of fresh salt air as the cool summer breeze comes off the sea, pine  from the Christmas trees dotted around, and particularly the smell of ripe mangoes just waiting to be eaten.
Although it's hot in Thailand, it's also rainy season so the weather is a bit grey and the clouds are always heavy with impending rain. In Sydney December is warm and the days and nights are mostly clear (not sure that's the case this year though) so there's always a lot of fun Christmas things to do outdoors, like carols in the domain or shopping for Christmas gifts at markets. And not having any of my family or friends from back home here makes it all a bit surreal too I think. But we're doing our best to make it a very Thailand Christmas. There's a secret Santa amongst the teachers in kindergarten and we have had dinners/drinks in the lead up to the 25th (just as we would have in Sydney). I stopped myself from buying any tinsel or Christmas decorations for my apartment because I'm leaving today and not returning until Jan 3rd so there didn't seem to be much point.

At school Christmas is in full swing. For 2 weeks it's been jingle bells and Christmas trees, we're literally decking the halls and you know what? It's been big fun! Being around the joyful energy of my 25 amazing little rug rats has really helped me get into the Christmas spirit.

Here's some pictures of my class in front of the Christmas/Snowman inspired art project we did last week:

I love the snowmen. We stuck cotton wool buds
to them so they're fluffy and snowy.
Merry Christmas everyone!
Apart from making thousands of X-mas art projects, we've also been practicing (very hard, and incessantly) for the kindergarten Christmas show. The show was on this morning and my kids did amazingly, I'm so proud! Yes, I cried a little but I think if you'd been there you would have cried too. Beautiful little balls of Christmasy delight they were, I adore them so much.  
Sadly my computer won't let me upload the footage I have of the show right now but I hope to work that out in the new year.

Here's a video of my amazing little Chrissy Elves practicing for the show.

I have to finish packing for my trip to Japan. So exciting, but I'm also a little bit nervous, I think the temperature in Japan is going to be the coldest I have ever experienced, Bbbbbbbbbbrrrrrrr.
Merry Christmas to everyone! I hope you have a wonderful family, food and joy-filled day on the 25th. Have a happy New Year and I will write again in 2012.

No comments:

Post a Comment