Wednesday, December 14, 2011

A Full Lunar Eclipse

On Saturday December 10 there was a full lunar eclipse and I was lucky enough to be in the right place at the right time (Koh Phangan, in the middle of the Gulf of Thailand at almost midnight) where I could watch the whole thing. Here are some pics my buddy took:





This eclipse was a full penumbral eclipse. Penumbral means a partial outer shadow that is lighter than the darker inner shadow. I'm not sure that I will ever see an eclipse like this again because penumbral eclipses are quite rare and only occur when the Moon passes through the Earth's penumbra.
The moon appeared red because of the way the light passed through Earth's atmosphere, and the angle that it was refracted.



I am really blessed to have been able to watch such a beautiful event. It made me think about my insignificance, and how ancient and mighty the universe is. It was a very humbling experience and I am truly happy I was able to appreciate it with some good friends. 

No comments:

Post a Comment