Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Quick and Easy (and cheap!) Zucchini Soup.

This is not the soup I made (sadly I forgot my camera) but it looks very similar.
Nice plates too.
Last night was a girls night. My good friend Marelise and I went to our pal Allison's house for a floor picnic and a screening of Beaches (*sob sob*).
It's rainy season here in southern Thailand and although it's still quite hot (26 degrees Celsius at 7pm) I find myself craving those colder climate foods. Add to that the fact that I am still paying off my trip to Australia, I'm trying to save for my Christmas trip to Japan, and that the next two Mondays are holidays and I'm going away  both times...basically I am pinching pennies to say the very least.

So when I saw leeks, Italian basil and zucchinis (in southern Thailand, wow!!) discounted at my local veggie market I thought it was the perfect reason to whip up a very easy and inexpensive zucchini soup.

Here's the recipe:
(serves 6)

1 tbsp olive oil
2 small brown onions (or 1 large), diced
5 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
1 leek, finely chopped
4 zucchinis, cut into half centimeter thick rounds
4 sticks of celery, roughly chopped
1 cup frozen peas
1 handful of Italian basil, chopped
1 handful of mint, chopped
1 litre warm stock (I like to use vegetable stock)
salt and pepper to taste

*As always the quantities are up to you to add to or change. I love garlic (and hope it stops me getting the horrible flu going around my town right now)  so I always use a lot, but if you don't enjoy it, don't use as much. I only added one potato because I'm trying to steer clear of carbs at night, but maybe you love them.

Heat oil in a pan then add the garlic, onion and leek and saute. When the onion is soft add the zucchini and celery and cook for about 3 minutes.
Add the peas, herbs and the stock and bring to a low boil, stirring to combine.
Put the lid on the pot and turn  down the heat. Leave to simmer for 1 hour.
When cooked, taste for seasoning.
At this point you could serve it as a chunky green soup, I however prefer to blend 2/3 of the mixture and serve it slightly chunky.

Don't forget to serve it with some bread and a helping of Parmesan cheese (or a dollop of sour cream)    

No comments:

Post a Comment